Branding is one of those concepts that as business leaders and marketers we understand is a thing, and we get that it’s important, but have you really ever thought about how to define what branding actually is?
A quick google search will turn up a massive variety of definitions from design functions, to emotive responses and other more intangible ideas of what branding means.
So to dive deeper into this idea, and in particular to explore the role of video in the world of branding I’m excited to introduce you to my guest today, a brand strategist from Boulder, Colorado with an interesting history in the film industry.
Marc Gutman is a storyteller, entrepreneur, adventurer, and idealist. But most
importantly, Marc loves brands and their stories. Marc held several positions in the story business. He served as Story Editor for Oliver Stone’s Illusion Entertainment, and wrote stories and screenplays for Oliver Stone, Warner Bros., and 20th Century Fox.
In addition to his time in Hollywood, Marc itched the entrepreneurial scratch by founding a multimillion dollar tech company in Boulder, Colorado. Today, Marc focuses his energy on Wildstory, the brand strategy studio for brands that want to outmaneuver their competition. Wildstory has worked with brands like Thor Industries, Airstream, El Cap, Planet Granite, Earth Treks, Movement, Inboard, Outward Bound School, and First Descents.
Marc is on a mission to help the world après… one brand at a time. He is also the host of the Baby Got Backstory podcast; delving into the story behind great brands such as Priceline.com, Patagonia, Ugg, Build-A-Bear Workshop and Kswiss.
In this episode we cover:
- A short intro to Marc and what he does.
- How he describes “branding”
- Why branding is important for business.
- The role that storytelling plays in brading.
- What he defines as a brand’s ‘story’.
- How a business owner or marketing gets clear on what their brand story might be.
- How does this play into other forms of content and marketing?
- His suggestions for business owners to better refine and develop their brand, and then get it out into the world.
Links mentioned in the show:
- Wildstory: The Good Stuff
- Wildstory on Facebook
- Wildstory YouTube Channel
- Marc on LinkedIn
- Marc on IG
If you found this episode of value I’d love for you to reach out and let me know on instagram @engage_ben or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join our 'Foundations' course free
Learn how to get your Online Video Strategy started the right way with the free course.